Our first book - Submission Guidelines

S8 anthologies & member's books.
Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » September 26th, 2006, 3:00 pm

Hi Cenacle!

Judih mentioned to me that you were interested in helping out on the editorial end and that would be great! I've long admired your work on the Cenacle and would love to have your help!

So, welcome to the review board (for lack of a better name).

As stated before, the way it will work will be, once the deadline for submissions has passed, I will assemble all the submissions into one pdf document (just text and images for sharing, not the layout of the manuscript) and share it with those who have volunteered to review the material.

The reviewers will be

me
Lightning Rod
judih
firsty
&
you

We'll go through a process of elimination, offering our input to each other about which are the best pieces for the publication, then once we all reach an agreement, I'll put together the manuscript, lay it out and typeset it.

At that point, any input from you in regards to layout will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again! Hope you'll submit some pieces of your own and congratulations on your recent Cenacle! Nice job!

Cenacle

Post by Cenacle » September 26th, 2006, 4:48 pm

Hey Doreen,

One process my wife Kassi and I have used at Scriptor Press is to weight the submissions, 1-10, and then figure which poems receive the highest score. Then, to keep the process interesting, we allow each other a few wild card picks, poems that one or the other of us really likes and want to be in the collection. With a small committee, this process might work well, or something like it.

I let myself celebrate the new Cenacle for a weekend, now into the next one, #59 | October 2006, hoping it will come out more timely...

maybe studio 8 should have a special forum for this book? or a yahoo or myspace page? another thought :)

Peace,
Raymond 8)

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » September 26th, 2006, 5:01 pm

Hey Ray...

That might work. Voting and ratings, though, always seem to sort of rub me wrong... I donno why... just the words, I guess. :D We do want to keep this process as simple as possible. I was thinking more along the lines of a process of elimination. In other words, let's say someone submits 8 works (which is the maximum we're allowing and probably most people won't submit that many but we'll see). Then we'd each look at the submissions and come to an agreement about which ones are the best of the 8. Haven't gotten that far yet but I suspect it will be an email process which will take a couple of weeks to sort out.

As far as setting up a board....That's what this "Community Projects" board is for. To talk about the book so the forum is already set up. We didn't have this forum before we had the book idea. We'll use the forum for one project at a time.

People who are going to submit can also post their submissions here and get feedback if they want to.

All the best for your October issue! Looking forward to working with you on this project.

Cenacle

Post by Cenacle » September 26th, 2006, 6:23 pm

I understand what you mean about voting and ratings, seems to maybe impersonalize or mechanize the process a bit. What works best, however the details come together, is a clear process. Think of it like a ball team, where each person plays a position with certain duties, but they are all part of the team, all in it for the one goal.

The goal here is a book which shakes down from a pile of submissions to a really nice collection. Even going from 8 summissions to 1 for a given person will take a kind of process. Making it effective and painless is the point, so that the poems and art that make it through the selection phase are excitingly good, and that the committee is still hyped for all the work that remains. It may come down to fewer than more, so that nothing in the collection is weak by anyone's reasonable standards.

As for layout, I've learned from grad school and from really good editors some ideas about clean and effective looks. There are ways to collaborate on this too, so that the committee is working on the visual part of the book too. Also, making books into PDFs is easy, once that stage is reached. ;)

Give it some thought, allow all possibilities. And mostly don't rush it. I've set up and missed countless self-imposed deadlines in the name of a better production :twisted:

jimboloco

Post by jimboloco » September 27th, 2006, 8:03 am

5.5" x 8.5" the dimensions of the book
so is it to be a horizontal format?

what are the dimensions of the drawings to be then?
[color=darkcyan]i'm on a survival mission
yo ho ho an a bottle of rum om[/color]

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » September 27th, 2006, 2:14 pm

Jim -
Not sure what the book dimensions will be yet. Cafe Press has several choices. I just quoted that size as an example as it's close to the size of a standard paperback. I would love to do a coffee table sized book but they don't have anything that large available. We'll probably go with the largest they have which is what they call "comic book" size. Can't remember the exact dimensions at the moment. 10" x ? Can't remember. I've got a couple of questions submitted over there so once I have answers, I'll be able to give you all more info. The dimensions of the book need not effect what you submit, though. I just wanted to stress that we're looking for shorter poems, rather than longer ones. :) You don't have to worry about the drawing dimensions. 300dpi is best but other than that, the dimensions don't matter. That will come into play when I work on the layout.

Ray -
This is what I do for my day job. Well not books, usually, but all kinds of other documents. I've been typesetting and laying out brochures, flyers, pamphlets, display boards for trade shows, you name it.... including designing products like coffee mugs, mousepads, etc... for about 15 years now. This is not to say that I'm not always open to input from talented designers. I will definitely ask for your feedback once we are into the layout stage.

Also, from years of experience, I know that I never publish anything without the eyes of 2 proofreaders. Not just one. Two. So, we'll need that kind of help, also.

And yeah! Exactly! The entire process will be directed to the goal of selecting the very best, most engaging, and strongest material submitted! You said it well! Thanks so much! :)

Dave The Dov

Post by Dave The Dov » September 27th, 2006, 2:22 pm

Oh Studio 8 will last!!!! Where else can we find a place like this!!!! :D
Last edited by Dave The Dov on March 20th, 2009, 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cenacle

great!

Post by Cenacle » September 28th, 2006, 12:10 am

as much as I like writing in my own little universe, publishing is a collaborative event, and countless the pleasures in it...a good group of people can generate a creative firestorm when they gather and get it together :)

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » September 28th, 2006, 12:31 am

awww .. Dave... would that anything could last forever!
All we can do is to be here now and know it will change as it should..
love to you!

Ray...
I agree.. which is why we have this tagline... "uniting the arts"... collaboration works so spiritually beautifully ... it is the energy of artistic talents coming together which make it so special and turn it into something that it never could have been with individual efforts... collaboration is beauty and i embrace it.... and i'm psyched about this project... "where 2 or more are gathered together"... so goes the myth... and i accept that because it's so very true... bring on the firestorm!

Missing some people.....

Dave The Dov

Post by Dave The Dov » September 28th, 2006, 2:09 pm

To quote a line by Allen Ginsberg " angelheaded hipsters burning for the ancient heavenly connection to the starry dynamo in the machinery of night".
Last edited by Dave The Dov on March 20th, 2009, 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

roxybeast

Post by roxybeast » January 9th, 2007, 4:17 pm

Hey Doreen:

I'd love to be included. Maybe the "King of Potential" poem.
And, if you like any of the pictures I have (see links on my column), feel free to utilize them.

Thanks,
Bill aka The Pregnant Pope

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » January 11th, 2007, 2:59 pm

Hi Bill!

I really liked that poem a lot and also enjoyed viewing your images! Good stuff!

I wish I could welcome these submissions to this book but unfortunately, the deadline has long passed. We have 5 people on a committee who are finishing up the review process which has taken some time and if I added your material to the submissions, I'd have to also add other people's material who have also asked and create a late submissions review process. We're finally getting to the stage of a final manuscript.

But this will not be our only book! I hope we will all be proud of this one and want to create another one shortly afterward!

Thank you for being here, for your well-written column, and for all your talents! I hope you'll like the book we are creating and will want to submit your material to the next one!

Cenacle

Post by Cenacle » January 18th, 2007, 8:54 pm

what is the status of the book currently? i've been tied up with other publishing projects, but i would really like to keep abreast of this one...

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » January 18th, 2007, 9:52 pm

Hi Ray. The status is, I have all the votes that judih so kindly charted. But I haven't had a chance to match them up with the manuscript and come up with a final document. Once I do that, I will be working on laying out and typesetting the manuscript, creating a cover for it, setting it up for the cafepress shop and then it will be ready for all to enjoy.

I'll keep everybody posted.

Thanks for your time and attention! There were a lot of great pieces in there! ;)

I'm sure the community will be proud of the project when it's finished.

judih
Site Admin

Post by judih » January 19th, 2007, 12:00 am

let me know if i can assist (a chart, a distance reiki)

Return to “S8 Community Books”