Kafka Toward a Minor Literature

The Philosophy of Art & Aesthetics.

Moderator: e_dog

e_dog

Kafka Toward a Minor Literature

Post by e_dog » August 12th, 2006, 4:39 pm

by Deleuze and Guattari.

this is an incredible book, somewhat difficult to read though.

on the writer's expression machine.

extra credit for those who can figure out what deterritorialization and reterritorialization (don't) mean.

there are moments of pure brilliant insight here (see the quote below) in this seemingly random collage of reflections about Kafka's life situation, novels, stories, letters, diary entries, even a lecture or too. (apparently Kafka once gave a lecture on Yiddish to an audience described by the authors as "hostile" (the audience that is).)

basically it is more a book that presents D 'n' G's theory about language, writing, subjectivity, using Kafka as a case study.

D was a philosopher, G a psychoanalyst, by profession.

here's Dana Polan's English translation of D & G's French text on the function of Kafka (the Czech Jew)'s literary operation with/on the German language:

"To bring language slowly and progressively to the desert. To use syntax in order to cry, to give a syntax to the cry." (p. 26)

"To give a syntax to the cry" is probably the best definition of poetry i have ever encountered.

Susan Marie

Post by Susan Marie » April 12th, 2007, 6:23 pm

Kafka is astounding. I just started the Trial and finished his Zurau Aphorisms.

I think Kafka is more inline with the soul of a writer actually, kind of like Van Gogh. That inner tortured self inflicted thing we all have going on. Yet, I would like to think he was closer to Jung than Freud.

Kafka is very much like a writer. Let down, put down, shunned, misunderstood, reclused and not minding that, actually finding solace in the reclusiveness of oneself (scary as that may be at times), finding happiness in thought, and near his end, in nature and the pure fact that he was near death and would walk hand in hand with his one true love, who never left him, his disease, his TB.

Kafka also makes fun of himself through his characters. I also would like to believe his characters are actually him. After finishing the Trial, I will post something on that. I have also read "Metamorphosis"

He is amazing. Truly.

As to your question, the both of those definitions together are an oxymoron, as one means to structure and another is to unstructure, loosely.

The quote about syntax and poetry, I agree. All great writing in general, any writing that bleeds actually.

Totenkopf

Post by Totenkopf » April 16th, 2007, 2:09 pm

While I enjoy reading Kafka on occasion (go team Gregor Samsa!), ah tend to think that Kafka stories are the last refuge of the hepcat--the literary scenester by choosing Kafkaiana has leaped into a somewhat fatalistic gloom that has more or less given up on rationality, if not democracy (and of course theology itself).

Kafka's own extreme despair was perhaps understandable given his own circumstances, but too many lit. people simply give up on, shall we say, any sort of Jeffersonian secularism or intelligent political and economic reforms and enter the macabre labyrinthe of Kafka (or EA Poe--in ways an underrated writer), usually, I suggest, as an escape: tho' the Gothic (whether high brow or low) remains of course perennially hip.....(that said I do enjoy his stories--the Penal Colony one of my faves---and Kafka, like Poe's best writing, sort of reduces most literary "realist" pulp or cafe poesy to meaninglessness............)

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » April 16th, 2007, 5:35 pm

kerouac a joyful kafka
one of those thoughts that caught me off guard
probably makes no sense

e_dog

Post by e_dog » April 17th, 2007, 2:37 pm

really i'd a thought burroughs was more Kafka-esky than Jack.

Kerouac wanted to be Proust. Remembrance of kicks past.
I don't think 'Therefore, I am.' Therefore, I am.

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » April 17th, 2007, 5:29 pm

Must you constantly humiliate me in front of the whole class?

At this point all I have read is about ten pages of the introduction to a collection of his stories. That was just an odd thought based on my almost total ignorance of Kafka.
"My talent for portrayijng my dream like inner life has thrust all other matters into the background; my life has dwindled dreadfully , nor will it cease to dwindle"
Thinking about Kerouac sitting on the dock in new jersery looking westward to the tattered rags of old age.

And the fact tha Kerouac was a virtual suicide,

I don't know professor it was just an odd thought that they were both so in touch with their dream like inner lives.

So how can I answer you
I have not read any Kafka
Last edited by stilltrucking on April 19th, 2007, 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » April 18th, 2007, 11:41 am

That was a joke about the entire class
You are an educated guy e-dog
I got gaps in mine you could drive a truck through.

I been saving vodka and kafka for my old age
I think its about time I read him.

Too late for the syntax.
I got an extra credit question too.

Who wrote your text book?
:wink:

Just goofin about the text book question but I remember taking a final exam in some bitch subject like Behavioral sciences or Physics and the Professor gave us that question as a five point extra credit to help us. He was a cool guy. But you know I don’t think many people got it right.
Last edited by stilltrucking on April 19th, 2007, 9:57 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Totenkopf

Post by Totenkopf » April 18th, 2007, 3:20 pm

Why not actually address the texts, e-dawg, instead of the criticism? I hear endless discussions of postmods, but few people bother chatting about the primary texts any more. Gregor Samsa, everyman..................

e_dog

Post by e_dog » April 19th, 2007, 10:16 pm

"primary texts" ...?

like the Bible?

or cuneiform tabs?

Kafka is late, way late criticism, man!
I don't think 'Therefore, I am.' Therefore, I am.

Return to “The Anti-Academy”