About The Cathouse

Animal Welfare Issues.
abcrystcats

About The Cathouse

Post by abcrystcats » September 19th, 2004, 2:24 am

Doreen didn't know it, but when she gave me my own forum, she created a perfect opportunity for me to develop my writing skills for a big project I have in mind. I am attending school as a pre-vet student and I hope some day to write a book about the shelter system and private animal rescue groups.

What I plan to do on this forum is post one editorial article per week on various aspects of animal welfare, species endangerment, vegetarianism and other controversial animal-related topics.

I hope that if you are interested, you will post freely, expressing your own opinions on these topics as they come up.

I also hope that you will NOT HESITATE to criticize my writing. I welcome corrections of any kind, and encourage suggestions to improve my style. If you think a piece is too long, say so! If you can think of a better way to express an idea, say so! That is what this forum is for, and the more you say, the more you will help me along the way.

Thanks for visiting!

Cat.

sooZen

Post by sooZen » September 19th, 2004, 9:31 pm

Cat, can I say that it is about time and wonderful that these issues are addressed in a writing forum? Hey! I just did. heh. I will be reading and commenting for these are issues close to my heart.

Have you read any Gary Snyder? If so, bravo, if not, you really need to. Jamelah has a neat article about him on litkicks. He is one of the so called beats that took environmental issues and made them literate. He's some kinda zen guy. Hah!

I just had an article published in a little rag here in Phar Lepht called Natural Living which is about living in harmony with environment, spirit, and a wholistic lifestyle. It was on Mass Extinction and was first published on Litkicks Poetry and Politics Board.

Question, what is you suggestion for shutting up a howling deaf cat? She is learning sign language but has a cat mind of her own. I guess part of the problem, I am her only amusement and since she is around 16 years old, she doesn't give a shit if I sleep or not.

SooZen

abcrystcats

Post by abcrystcats » September 19th, 2004, 11:50 pm

That is a good one, Sooz, I don't know. Do you let the cat sleep in your bed? If not, a little contact comfort might help. Has she always been deaf, or is this a new thing onset with age? I've noticed that almost all animals get a little nuts when they get older, and vocalization is one way it comes out. If she hasn't been checked out recently by a vet, you might want to go that route. Sometimes they howl because they're in pain somewhere.

Thanks for your vote of confidence. My first article is just going to be a descriptive attention-getter intro, then I will dive into the topics. You will see it tomorrow morning. I think it's got too many words and I need to edit it some more. I hope to get some community participation here. We are a caring group, in general, so I know these topics will provoke some interest.

Mass Extinction, hmmm? I will have to look that post of yours up. Sounds good!

Thanks again!

Cat

abcrystcats

Post by abcrystcats » September 20th, 2004, 10:06 am

Better answer about your cat. After I posted I looked this stuff up in a handy reference book I have about animal behavior problems.

1) All of the above is correct, but DON'T reward the meowing behavior by responding to it. So, bring the cat to bed BEFORE the meowing starts. don't get up in the middle of the night to fill food bowls, cuddle kitty, etc.
2) Does your cat play? Exhaust the cat with a strenuous exercise session before beddy-bye time.
3) Give your cat a yummy, wet cat food meal before bedtime. Is this cat on a diet? The book mentioned that and said hungry cats will yowl for food.

PS- The book also recommended zapping your cat with a water pistol when it yowls. I don't know how you feel about this, but I'm just telling you what it said. :(

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » October 4th, 2004, 10:59 pm

Cat- i really love your first two essays.. ... you are very astute and articulate, as i've told you before and i'm proud to have your writing on these boards. This is a unique idea for a forum and i think there are many who are very interested in these topics. Thanks so much for doing this and being a part of what studio eight is all about..... the people who are here..... that's what this place is about.... thank you! can't wait for more....

abcrystcats

Post by abcrystcats » October 5th, 2004, 12:06 am

Dear Doreen and Lightning Rod:

I feel like a bumbling idiot when I look at some of the pieces other writers have submitted, but I will do my best. I have discovered it's best for me NOT to look at what the other writers have submitted, for that very reason. I am paralyzed by the excellence of what I see ... Thank you for your encouragement and kindness -- you guys are great!

Cat

creativesoul

tail

Post by creativesoul » April 27th, 2007, 3:09 pm

rub the muscles to either side of the tail about two inches above the base of tail
back aches make everyone howl

Return to “Cathouse”