Al Gore and the environmentalism

The Philosophy of Art & Aesthetics.

Moderator: e_dog

e_dog

Al Gore and the environmentalism

Post by e_dog » October 15th, 2007, 1:53 pm

THE ANTI-ACADEMY EXPRESSES ITS DISAPPROVAL OF THE RECENT AWARD TO AL GORE OF THE NOBEL PEACE PRIZE.
Nobel Peace Prize winner Al Gore has said he plans to use the honor and recognition of the award as a way to speed up the change in awareness about global warming.

Al Gore: "It truly is a planetary emergency and we have to respond quickly. There is an old African proverb that says if you want to go quickly, go alone, if you want to go far, go together. We have to go far, quickly, and that means we have to quickly find a way to change to world's consciousness about exactly what we are facing and how we have to work to solve it."
GREAT. NOW WE WILL HAVE TO LISTEN TO AL-GORE'S PONTIFICATIONS FOR THE REST OF HIS LIFE.
I don't think 'Therefore, I am.' Therefore, I am.

Totenkopf

Post by Totenkopf » October 15th, 2007, 11:23 pm

Ah almost agree wit ya E-pup. Gore's like the Barney the Green Dinosaur of pop-progressivism. A fat stupid buffoon, mostly: his global warming sort of green-0 xtra lite, made to order for software execs, and soccer mommies who recycle while the vibe batteries charge.

Big gay Al was a flunkie at Haw-vawwd (tho his rich redneck daddi paid his bills), and really quite conservative as senator. No marxist am I (libertarian-lefti if you like) , but you should read some of Cockburn Alex's rips of Goreski: you might even approve.

http://www.counterpunch.org/cockburn10132007.html

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » October 15th, 2007, 11:29 pm

I like him. Always have.

Totenkopf

Post by Totenkopf » October 15th, 2007, 11:46 pm

Gore's cuddly and "user-friendly" now: he wasn't like 20 years ago, when he started out as anti-abortion, pro-NRA, pro-nuke, pal of corporate interests. Gore was quite a biblethumper--then added the new age jive during Clinton years. He was also not such a green, until a few years ago.

Gore argued for overthrow of Iraq/Hussein, bombing of Kosovo, and he and his pal Lieberman outhawked Bush during 1999-2000 campaigns. His global warming ideas, while perhaps partially accurate, have a lot of flaws (not only rightists questioning his research): he commits the "hasty conclusion" fallacy really (making conclusions without considering enough evidence). He's a demagogue, I believe, though now more PC than he was. Sort of a green Reagan.

That's a bit harsh, but Res Ipsa Loquitur, raht. Would you vote for someone who now had some decent ideas, but who had once been a nazi? (Gore's not a nazi, I don't think (the Counterpunch gang nearly think so, however)) Many humans probably would not. And for those who opposed the war, Gore/Lieberman should be cause for some concern.

jimboloco

Post by jimboloco » November 6th, 2007, 8:28 pm

which is why i voted for winona laduke
but dumya is a disaster

yes we forgot the sanctions in iraq that left the water supplies dirty and the untold numbers of kids who died under clinton and madam secretary
not-all-that-bright
we had vets for peace inside iraq during those years doing water restoration projectts
and voices in the wilderness
and yes
mercy
that pacifist church what name i cannot remember

so yeah

but hey
people grow
one can only hope
and when the dumbocratz get the wart haus back
we will give them hell
no doubt

of course there is a history that preceeded the balkan wars
yugoslavia had tito

we waited too long to go into there
sorry folks
i know a guy who was an army medic in that one
he did a lot of cut-downs to start iv's

yet he thinks that the iraq war is stupid

no holier than thou thanks
you raise my intellectual plane
but i ain't no pacifist
just anti-imperialist
and an allmost flunkie at michigan
but i learned about dissent

ah the air is open here in the agora

listen to him pontificate
mebbe he'll get together with mikey moore
and do a film about
cleavage of the mountaintops in tennessee
[color=darkcyan]i'm on a survival mission
yo ho ho an a bottle of rum om[/color]

the flaming ace

Post by the flaming ace » November 6th, 2007, 8:42 pm

http://www.counterpunch.org/cockburn10132007.html
Back in Clinton's 1992 presidential campaign Gore was told to earn his keep with constant pummeling of George Bush Sr for having been soft on Saddam. Gore duly criss-crossed the country yoking Saddam and Bush in fervid denunciation, his press aides passing out speeches flatteringly footnoted with references to the work of the journalists covering his campaign. Gore charged that Bush had given Saddam "one of those milquetoast routines George Bush is so famous for". "The cover-up of Bush's arming of Saddam was", Gore shouted, "bigger than Watergate ever was." Right before the 2000 election Gore called for expansion of the no-fly zones in Iraq and said that any Iraqi plane venturing into such zones should be shot down.

In early January, 1993, Thomas Friedman interviewed president elect Clinton and asked about Saddam. Clinton amiably responded, "I always tell everybody, I'm a Baptist. I believe in deathbed conversions. If he wants a different relationship with the US and UN, all he has to do is change his behavior." This elicited cries of outrage from the national security establishment, and its prime respresentative,vice president-elect Gore, who announced that there could never be normal relations with Iraq so long as Saddam remained in power. He reiterated the call for a coup, if not by the Iraqi military then by the CIA (which in point of fact had been in receipt of a 'presidential finding' from Bush, three months after the guns of the Gulf War fell silent, authorizing it 'to create conditions for the removal of Saddam Hussein from power').

Vice president Al Gore was then given authority in the Clinton Administration for Iraq policy. On April 14, 1993, Bush went to Kuwait, whose regime duly arrested 17 people charged with plotting to kill Bush with a bomb placed in a Toyota Landcruiser.

Again the national security establishment mustered in support of a plan to hold Saddam accountable and bombard Baghdad, a plan hotly advocated by Gore and his national security advisor, Leon Feurth. The two individuals most reluctant to endorse this plan were Bill Clinton and George Bush Sr. "Do we have to take this action?" Clinton muttered to his national security team as the cruise missiles on two carriers in the Persian Gulf were being programmed.
Eight of the 23 missiles hit the residential Mansour suburb of Baghdad, one of them killing Leila al-Attar, a prominent Iraqi artist. According to Clinton's pollster Stan Greenberg, the bombing of Baghdad caused an uptick of 11 points in Clinton's popularity, a lesson Clinton and Gore did not forget. Years later, in the 2000 campaign, Gore out-hawked George Bush Jr on the subject of finishing the job in Iraq.

On June 29, 2000, Gore was in Chicago to talk about "energy policy incentives for cities". Danny Muller of Voices in the Wilderness went to Navy Pier, where the event was being held. Gore was at the podium amid wild ovations. Muller remembers the scene: "I raised my voice and asked 'Mr. Gore, why should anyone vote for an administration that kills 5,000 innocent children a month through sanctions in Iraq?' Gore stopped. And he laughed. He actually laughed. He said he would discuss this later in the day. I responded by saying that every ten minutes a child dies in Iraq due to sanctions and we do not have the time to wait."

Muller was still protesting as Gore's security goons hauled him off.

The specific reason why this man of blood shares the 2007 Nobel Peace Prize with the IPCC is for their joint agitprop on the supposed threat of anthropogenic global warming. Bogus science topped off with toxic alarmism. It's as ridiculous as as if Goebbels got the Nobel Peace Prize in 1938, sharing it with the Kaiser Wilhelm Institute for his work in publicizing the threat to race purity posed by Jews, Slavs and gypsies. (The peace prize actually went that year to the Nansen Committee for Refugees. Gore certainly played his part in creating Iraq's current 4 million refugees, among the greatest displacements of the past hundred years.)
i yam milquetoast

i remember this
when we lobbed some missiles
i was talking with a fellow who had been a navigator on kc-135 tankers
the plane i refused duty on
(but didn't tell him
cast not yer pearls before swine)
and he said,
"finally clinton's getting presidential!"

thanks fer th edification
whaddya know
i was still on th outs back then
and know i gotta pay attention now
that i ain't on th outs

mebbe gore had a deathbed prevision
and has been converted
he don't need my vote
[b][color=darkgreen]one more for th road[/color][/b] :mrgreen:

Totenkopf

Post by Totenkopf » December 24th, 2007, 8:18 pm

Goremass! Imagine like Tipper on the tabletop with an apple in her snout. Salud

mnaz

Post by mnaz » February 12th, 2008, 1:20 am

Re: Clinton Admin. & Iraq:

After several years of Iraq sanctions had passed, and said sanctions proved ineffective in weakening Saddam's power and were fostering a humanitarian crisis, I was in favor of curtailing them. It could be argued that this is a black mark on the Clinton years, I suppose.

It's also true that the Clinton folks perhaps over-hyped Saddam's threat. But keep in mind that Saddam at one point did pose a considerable threat, especially early on in Clinton's tenure. We ought to know. We helped arm him to the teeth.

As for Gore's bashing Bush41's "softness" on Saddam, I think much of that is attributable to election hype. It seems the Dems must campaign twice as aggressively as Repubs on foreign policy/nat'l. security issues due to their Party's soft-on-crime/security public perception (or at least that's been the approach, at times).

Remember also that the Clinton Admin. had to learn from "square one" about an emerging threat named al Qaeda. The warnings they passed along to Bush43 & Cabal were not mere hype, and indeed went largely unheeded, it seems.

Re: Gore & Iraq:

Gore's statements in 2000 re: "Saddam must go" do seem to contradict his position just two years later. However: (A) To me, the 2000 statements come across as "tough campaign talk" with few or no specifics attached; hardly an uncommon political tactic. And (B) In 2002, Gore had enough common sense to recognize that al Qaeda was now the primary demonstrated immediate threat, not Saddam, and as such, the US should reassess its security priorities accordingly.

Is Gore jumping to unproven conclusions on global warming? Probably. I view his work in that field with skepticism. I'm no big fan of Gore. But he is a far cry from the unconscionable neo-CON war profiteers that have occupied the White House for the last seven years.

what me worry?

Post by what me worry? » April 9th, 2008, 9:31 am

The new argument now being fostered by the generals is that a pullback will open Iraq up to a greater war in the Middle East. Also, another rationale for continuing to stabilize the puppet Iraqi governmant is the intent to have them pay for reconstruction using revenues from their own oil sales.

I have Gore's book and DVD movie, "Inconvenient Truth," and need to take the time to peruse them. I don't hear him calling for an alternative vision into the Iraq-Middle East situation. HHe is retired, mans, life on the blue-grass farm in Tennessee, home of Fisk University, the Good and Plenty Farm, and th Grande Ol Opry. His global concern overarchs any specific down an dirty concrete encounter with this problem.

Personally, I have no objection to the Shihite Militias. They provide both security and social services for their people. I'm not worried about them, nor about Iraq's neighbors, who would do a better job of dealing with Iraq than thhe USofA can. We have made an environmental mess outa Iraq, ever since Gulf War One, and Gore was a perp :o of the administration that perpetrated the abysmal economic sanctions that left the water supply dirty, negligent genocide. So I think there's a real disconnect here, speaking of Gore, between his global vision and the concrete ecocide in Iraq that he was a part of.

Where's Mikeyy Moore when we need him? hHe should get the prize.
[color=brown]I'm not a complete idiot! :roll: There's more than one way not to skin a cat :)[/color]

e_dog

Post by e_dog » April 9th, 2008, 10:18 pm

Michael Moore needs ta get off his ass and make anotha movie.

War in Iraq is good for its economie, creates jobs inj the security apparatus, militias, terrorists rather than homeless pursons.

Holy burden of Hallowedburton.
Holyburtin.

jimboloco

Post by jimboloco » April 10th, 2008, 10:44 am

actually that's connecting the dots pretty welll
in a lyrically poetic manner
which concretely
paints it, man

e_dog

Post by e_dog » April 12th, 2008, 2:35 pm

Cindy Sheehan wasn't she gunna run fer office?

Wat happned to that plann, man?

Cindy Sheehan should un-seet Nanci Pelousi, any day now, WE SHALLBE RELEASED!

jimboloco

Post by jimboloco » April 14th, 2008, 6:26 pm

and yet even thru all this horror
there were new voices to emerge
(gold star mothers for peace)
and hopefully will sustain,
meanwhile the chinese want to move their capital trading monies from europe to abu dubai
and the ayatollahs want to flood the ancient city of persiopolis
to submerge the pre-islamic memories
of cyrus the great
(jefferson's mentor, for better or worse)
and so at least we know
there will be perrenial emergings of new voices for sanity
and humaneness,
but big al,
he's peaked
not piqued,
he never complained about the defoliation in vietnam,
or the carpet bombing,
was always in polite company
(not the fortune of the pro·le·tar·i·at),
yet as you say, he is gen·teel
and, as the swami said to the hot dog man,
"make me one with everything"
is how he prays to the lord

jimboloco

Post by jimboloco » April 30th, 2008, 9:23 am

cindy's getting ready to file her candidacy
heard it wafting in th breeze
and jimmy carter's wife in garters
to christian the latest nuclear submarine
the ss jimmy carter
no joke

e_dog

Post by e_dog » April 30th, 2008, 11:04 am

you serious!

the jimmy carter's legacy gonna be a nuke boat.

fer peace!

cindy sheehan fer congress!

forget that fanci pelousey. peace moms fer senat. or represuntativs.

Return to “The Anti-Academy”