If You Want to be a Writer, Get Another Job . . .

The Philosophy of Art & Aesthetics.

Moderator: e_dog

e_dog

If You Want to be a Writer, Get Another Job . . .

Post by e_dog » January 6th, 2008, 8:00 pm

CORSO intewrviewed by Tom Brokaw,

jk

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1z1LkYLDCrg
I don't think 'Therefore, I am.' Therefore, I am.

mnaz

Post by mnaz » February 12th, 2008, 4:10 am

'Get another job'? Wha? Y'mean, writing job plus another one?
Is writing a job?

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » February 12th, 2008, 12:59 pm

Excerpt from a letter Kerouac wrote in 1964 to Nando Pivano, an Italian translator who had asked permission to include Kerouac's work in an anthology of American "Beat" poetry. Kerouac refused, replying to Pivano:
What these bozos [Allen Ginsberg and Gregory Corso] and their friends are up to now is simply the last act in their original adoption and betrayal of any truly "beat" credo. Now that we're all getting to be middleaged I can see that they're just frustrated hysterical provocateurs and attention-seekers with nothing on their mind but rancor towards "America" and the life of ordinary people. They have never written about ordinary people with any love, you may have noticed. I still admire them of course, for their technical excellence as poets, as I admire [Jean] Genet and [William] Burroughs for their technical excellence as prose writers, but all four of them belong to the "keep-me-out-of-the-picture" department and that's the way I want it from now on.

Totenkopf

Post by Totenkopf » February 15th, 2008, 12:51 am

Now that we're all getting to be middleaged I can see that they're just frustrated hysterical provocateurs and attention-seekers with nothing on their mind but rancor towards "America" and the life of ordinary people. They have never written about ordinary people with any love, you may have noticed

I like that. Ti Jean had a heart, even if he became a bit conservative and grouchy as he aged. Genet was not the saint that some frenchy-leftists thought, either: he had pals in the Vichy (as did Sartre). Jus' cause he was queer, did time, or later supported leftists doesn't make him (or beat X) a hero.

mnaz

Post by mnaz » February 15th, 2008, 4:31 am

He was getting dead dog drunk on the idea of revival. So what.

Totenkopf

Post by Totenkopf » February 15th, 2008, 12:26 pm

Revival for JK, a french-canadian gent? I think not: he may have returned slightly to his catholic roots, but it's more like he wasn't down with the Nihilist chic. And note that he still admired the technique of Burroughs and the others. The hepcats weren't down with JK's authenticity, and sincerity.

mnaz

Post by mnaz » February 15th, 2008, 4:55 pm

oh the ironies abound..

What better way to demonstrate anti-Nihilist chic than to destroy one's self? I get it though. It was for a greater purpose.

Return to “The Anti-Academy”