"Sorry, But Your Soul Just Died"

The Philosophy of Art & Aesthetics.

Moderator: e_dog

gypsyjoker

"Sorry, But Your Soul Just Died"

Post by gypsyjoker » May 16th, 2008, 1:00 am

(Marxism still hangs on, barely, acrobatically, in American universities in a Mannerist form known as Deconstruction, a literary doctrine that depicts language itself as an insidious tool used by The Powers That Be to deceive the proles and peasants.)

http://www.orthodoxytoday.org/articles/ ... ulDied.php
Free Rice
Avatar Courtesy of the Baron de Hirsch Fund

'Blessed is he who was not born, Or he, who having been born, has died. But as for us who live, woe unto us, Because we see the afflictions of Zion, And what has befallen Jerusalem." Pseudepigrapha

gypsyjoker

Post by gypsyjoker » May 16th, 2008, 2:32 am

Wilson has created and named the new field of sociobiology, and he has compressed its underlying premise into a single sentence. Every human brain, he says, is born not as a blank tablet (a tabula rasa) waiting to be filled in by experience but as "an exposed negative waiting to be slipped into developer fluid." You can develop the negative well or you can develop it poorly, but either way you are going to get precious little that is not already imprinted on the film. The print is the individual's genetic history, over thousands of years of evolution, and there is not much anybody can do about it. Furthermore, says Wilson, genetics determine not only things such as temperament, role preferences, emotional responses, and levels of aggression, but also many of our most revered moral choices, which are not choices at all in any free-will sense but tendencies imprinted in the hypothalamus and limbic regions of the brain, a concept expanded upon in 1993 in a much-talked-about book, The Moral Sense , by James Q. Wilson (no kin to Edward O.).
ibid
Free Rice

'Blessed is he who was not born, Or he, who having been born, has died. But as for us who live, woe unto us, Because we see the afflictions of Zion, And what has befallen Jerusalem." Pseudepigrapha

Arcadia

Post by Arcadia » May 16th, 2008, 1:05 pm

I read until Science is a court from which there is no appeal. I don´t know... no much details about the criminology chapter... what about sociodetermination? has any place in that theory? ? I´ll end to read it later. One thing I know is that my 5 years sobrino did puzzles last year faster and better than me!!!!! :lol:

jimboloco

Post by jimboloco » May 16th, 2008, 2:15 pm

well there's a new tv show
"are you smarter than a fifth grader?"
Kool Beanz
[color=darkcyan]i'm on a survival mission
yo ho ho an a bottle of rum om[/color]

gypsyjoker

Post by gypsyjoker » May 16th, 2008, 5:16 pm

In 1996, Tom Wolfe wrote a brilliant essay called, "Sorry, but Your Soul Just Died, in which he captured the militant materialism of some modern scientists.
>>>
To these self-confident researchers, the idea that the spirit might exist apart from the body is just ridiculous. Instead, everything arises from atoms. Genes shape temperament. Brain chemicals shape behavior. Assemblies of neurons create consciousness. Free will is an illusion. Human beings are "hard-wired" to do this or that. Religion is an accident.

Researchers now spend a lot of time trying to understand universal moral intuitions. Genes are not merely selfish, it appears. Instead, people seem to have deep instincts for fairness, empathy and attachment.
Scientists have more respect for elevated spiritual states. Andrew Newberg of the University of Pennsylvania has shown that transcendent experiences can actually be identified and measured in the brain (people experience a decrease in activity in the parietal lobe, which orients us in space). The mind seems to have the ability to transcend itself and merge with a larger presence that feels more real.
This new wave of research will not seep into the public realm in the form of militant atheism. Instead it will lead to what you might call neural Buddhism.

Neural Buddhists
Free Rice

gypsyjoker

Post by gypsyjoker » May 17th, 2008, 9:59 am

The bottom line for me is this.

Love is vital to brain development.
Over the past several years, the momentum has shifted away from hard-core materialism. The brain seems less like a cold machine. It does not operate like a computer. Instead, meaning, belief and consciousness seem to emerge mysteriously from idiosyncratic networks of neural firings. Those squishy things called emotions play a gigantic role in all forms of thinking. Love is vital to brain development.
Free Rice

e_dog

Post by e_dog » May 18th, 2008, 1:51 am

Genes are not merely selfish, it appears. Instead, people seem to have deep instincts for fairness, empathy and attachment.

People who dont understand evilution shouldnt writeonit.

SELFISH GENES AND SOCIAL PEOPLE EQUAL COMPATIBLE.

SOUL IS ACCIDENT.

MIND DO NOT EX-ITS.
I don't think 'Therefore, I am.' Therefore, I am.

gypsyjoker

Post by gypsyjoker » May 18th, 2008, 1:05 pm

The neuroscientific view of life
This, the neuroscientific view of life, has become the strategic high ground in the academic world, and the battle for it has already spread well beyond the scientific disciplines and, for that matter, out into the general public. Both liberals and conservatives without a scientific bone in their bodies are busy trying to seize the terrain. The gay rights movement, for example, has fastened onto a study published in July of 1993 by the highly respected Dean Hamer of the National Institutes of Health, announcing the discovery of "the gay gene." Obviously, if homosexuality is a genetically determined trait, like left-handedness or hazel eyes, then laws and sanctions against it are attempts to legislate against Nature. Conservatives, meantime, have fastened upon studies indicating that men's and women's brains are wired so differently, thanks to the long haul of evolution, that feminist attempts to open up traditionally male roles to women are the same thing: a doomed violation of Nature.

Wilson himself has wound up in deep water on this score; or cold water, if one need edit. In his personal life Wilson is a conventional liberal, PC, as the saying goes--he is , after all, a member of the Harvard faculty--concerned about environmental issues and all the usual things. But he has said that "forcing similar role identities" on both men and women "flies in the face of thousands of years in which mammals demonstrated a strong tendency for sexual division of labor. Since this division of labor is persistent from hunter-gatherer through agricultural and industrial societies, it suggests a genetic origin. We do not know when this trait evolved in human evolution or how resistant it is to the continuing and justified pressures for human rights."

"Resistant" was Darwin II, the neuroscientist, speaking. "Justified" was the PC Harvard liberal. He was not PC or liberal enough. Feminist protesters invaded a conference where Wilson was appearing, dumped a pitcher of ice water, cubes and all, over his head, and began chanting, "You're all wet! You're all wet!" The most prominent feminist in America, Gloria Steinem, went on television and, in an interview with John Stossel of ABC, insisted that studies of genetic differences between male and female nervous systems should cease forthwith.
Free Rice

gypsyjoker

Post by gypsyjoker » May 18th, 2008, 8:35 pm

Sorry about the long quotes e-dog, I am not sure i even put this on the right board.

Speaking of evilution
("The Deniable Darwin," Commentary , June 1996) and the biochemist Michael Behe (Darwin's Black Box , 1996), have begun attacking Darwinism as a mere theory, not a scientific discovery, a theory woefully unsupported by fossil evidence and featuring, at the core of its logic, sheer mush. (Dennett and Dawkins, for whom Darwin is the Only Begotten, the Messiah, are already screaming. They're beside themselves, utterly apoplectic. Wilson, the giant, keeping his cool, has remained above the battle.) By 1990 the physicist Petr Beckmann of the University of Colorado had already begun going after Einstein. He greatly admired Einstein for his famous equation of matter and energy, E=mc2 , but called his theory of relativity mostly absurd and grotesquely untestable. Beckmann died in 1993. His Fool Killer's cudgel has been taken up by Howard Hayden of the University of Connecticut, who has many admirers among the upcoming generation of Ultimately Skeptical young physicists. The scorn the new breed heaps upon quantum mechanics ("has no real-world applications"..."depends entirely on fairies sprinkling goofball equations in your eyes"), Unified Field Theory ("Nobel worm bait"), and the Big Bang Theory ("creationism for nerds") has become withering. If only Nietzsche were alive! He would have relished every minute of it!
This is all ancient history from ten years ago. I don't think anyone is doubting the real world applications of quantum mechanics anymore.

In the back of mind I am thinking about something you said about B. Russell parodying himself. I wonder what he would have to say about Neural Buddhism?

I don't get your point about soul being an accident. So what, what does it matter, who is saying anything about that old time religion of Einstein's where god does not shoot craps with creation?

Was Russell really bored with the physical sciences in 1924 when he wrote What I Believe? or was it a parody?
Free Rice

e_dog

Post by e_dog » May 19th, 2008, 1:16 pm

upcoming generation of Ultimately Skeptical young physicists. The scorn the new breed heaps upon quantum mechanics ("has no real-world applications"..."depends entirely on fairies sprinkling goofball equations in your eyes"), Unified Field Theory ("Nobel worm bait"), and the Big Bang Theory ("creationism for nerds") has become withering. If only Nietzsche were alive! He would have relished every minute of it!
Damn, those Huskys are brusque.

(don't know what that word, if anything, means.)

Creationism for nerds -- great discripshyon of everything around, arts and compuyters. mathematicks, and such, like physacs.

peace in the Middle Ease.

Correct your math, befo' you wreck your craft.

gypsyjoker

Post by gypsyjoker » May 19th, 2008, 7:36 pm

(Marxism still hangs on, barely, acrobatically, in American universities in a Mannerist form known as Deconstruction, a literary doctrine that depicts language itself as an insidious tool used by The Powers That Be to deceive the proles and peasants.)
Like an orange, a bicycle and a loaf of bread.

I can't do the math can you?

I wimped out my freshman year
never took the calculus.

Hmm, peace in the M.E.
I would not know
Is it good for israel?
Free Rice

gypsyjoker

Post by gypsyjoker » May 19th, 2008, 10:29 pm

If you meet Shakespeare on the road kill him.
Big bang my ass
yup
out on the edge
the only place for me
listening to the chaos boil and bubble
like hot water over green tea leaves.

Can you imagine anyone using language
as an insidious tool used by The Powers That Be to deceive the proles and peasants
"Language is merely a bitch with an ice pick" (paraphrase of jota poem)
Free Rice

gypsyjoker

Post by gypsyjoker » May 20th, 2008, 1:43 am

"close to the edge"

did I really say that?

I am hopeless.
Free Rice

e_dog

Post by e_dog » May 20th, 2008, 8:38 pm

where you get them quotes from man, GIVE THA LINKS!

Arcadia

Post by Arcadia » May 21st, 2008, 7:05 pm

"are you smarter than a fifth grader?"

no idea what you talk about when you say fifth grader. But he was 4 years old and in kindergarden!!!! :lol:

Return to “The Anti-Academy”