Good morning allergy sufferers

Go ahead. Talk about it.
singlemalt

Good morning allergy sufferers

Post by singlemalt » September 8th, 2004, 9:17 am

Yep, we are a sad, cursed lot. The cure is worse than the disease. So let me snivel (sniffle?) in my misery. I think my nose is having a two-month long period. Ah, sweet snot, I sing of thee.

Other than that, I feel great!

Anyone have any good news for this miserable chap?

sooZen

ah the joys of nature...

Post by sooZen » September 8th, 2004, 10:21 am

(That small font is hard on my old eyes)

Actually I do take the greatest of joys in nature but having allergies is the pits (notice, I said 'pits' not 'tits'). On my recent escapades in the forests of New Mexico, something blooming did not agree with me and I spent the first day with an earache and headache and that evening and the next had a sneezing fit. I am extemely sensitive to over-the-counter and chemical remedies. I am also allergic to Sudafed and Dimetap so my options are limited. And then one fine and dandy day while perusing the shelves at a local natural foods store...eureka! I found something and it actually worked for me. It is a homeopathic (notice, I said 'homeo' not 'homo') remedy called Allergiemittel also known as AllerAide. You place a pill under your tongue at the first sign of symptoms. You have to do this before your allergies get full blown or it is not as effective. I have given it to friends who have tried many other medications and remedies which have not worked...it did the trick for them. It works for itchy eyes, sneezing, runny nose, and nasal congestion, the gamut. You will thank me some day if you give it a try.

SooZen

Lightning Rod

Post by Lightning Rod » September 8th, 2004, 10:56 am

I know, malt, it's not fun drowning in your own snot but there are worse fates.

sooz, I'm with you on the OTC remedies. I would rather endure the malady than take those medicines which are worse than the complaint.

I think allergies are a sign of health. It shows that your immune system is working.

But homeopathic medicines are a source of some amusement to me. I once had a girlfriend who had all of these little bottles on her kitchen counter. I picked one of them up one day and read the label. It said put two drop of this under your tongue and it will immunize you from making the same mistakes over and over. I didn't know whether to laugh out loud or drink the whole bottle.

(sizes for the benefit of our old eyes)
"These words don't make me a poet, these Eyes make me a poet."

The Poet's Eye

sooZen

Post by sooZen » September 8th, 2004, 11:58 am

Clay, I understand your scepticism (that is, if you were being sceptical?), in fact I think that is the best way to start out on any issue. Mine was assuaged when a friend recommended a hemeopathic remedy for my dog Annie who terribly frightened of thunderstorms. It was called 'Rescue Remedy' and I picked up a bottle to see if it would help. I always knew when a storm was approaching because poor Annie would cower, shake and whine by the door, begging to be let in. She then would hide in some corner, panting and you couldn't drag her back outside until the sun shone. Instead of placing the drops under her tongue, I gave them on a dog 'cookie'. Man, that stuff worked like a charm and she was calm, relaxed and unconcerned when a storm approached. Now a dog doesn't judge or have a placebo reaction like we so called 'thinking' beings do so I knew it was effective. It's hard to fool a dog as they are honest and true to their instincts.

I carry a bottle of that stuff in my handbag or backpack in case of stress or an accident or a frightening experience for myself or anyone I may encounter that is in need. Cecil and I found a kitten (and forgive me if I told you this story already) that had been hit by a car in front of our house. It's back was broken, it was in incredible pain and crying but we could tell that it was dying. We picked it up and put it in the shade of the porch and I gave it some Rescue Remedy and the sad meows ceased almost immediately. It died, but in peace. Soooo, the homeo stuff works and I have the experiences to prove it for myself. Maybe I should search out the one that stops you from making the same mistakes over and over. I certainly could use that too!

singlemalt

I agree with L-Rod

Post by singlemalt » September 8th, 2004, 12:11 pm

the otc meds screw me up big time. Drowsy, hyper, constipated (and who needs that one).

There is some stuff that's not bad called Nasalcrom. It is a mast cell stabilizer that essentially stops the cells in your sinuses from releasing histamines which cause your nose to go wacko. You can get it otc. It helps relieve the symptoms by about 50% to 90% depending on the severity of your exposure to the allergens. You need to use it for about a week for it to take effect.

I think you can see the stuff at nasalcrom.com. It only stays in your nose and has no side effects.

Anyway, enough medicine talk for the day. Hope yous two are doing better than my nose is.

abcrystcats

Claritin

Post by abcrystcats » September 10th, 2004, 11:58 pm

I hate to even ask this ... but have you tried Claritin and the various Claritin imitators? I swear by Alavert 12 hour D. OK, so that's got a little sudafed in it(the D part) but you can get it without the decongestant too either in 12 hour or 24 hour varieties.

Before this drug, I was constantly snot-nosed, sneezing loudly and in a most unladylike way.

As for "Rescue Remedy". If it works, use it! Flower remedies sound, to me, an awful lot like the allergens that cause this misery. But I am sure they work for many. Kava-Kava worked as a calming agent for me before they took it off the market completely.

Return to “General Discussion”