damn

Go ahead. Talk about it.
Marksman45

Post by Marksman45 » September 23rd, 2008, 5:31 pm

The psychological part is definitely the hard part.
'Cause smoking a cigarette can be so many things. A ritual, a symbolic act, a reward, a punishment, a carrot and a stick, a crutch, a refuge, an anchor.

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » September 23rd, 2008, 6:29 pm

absolutely. i still have the occasional desire but thankfully it passes just as quickly.

Lightning Rod

Post by Lightning Rod » September 23rd, 2008, 6:50 pm

cec, if I listened to my mind I wouldn't smoke. What reasonable person would? I listen to my body. My body says, 'mmmmmmm a cigarette.'
"These words don't make me a poet, these Eyes make me a poet."

The Poet's Eye

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » September 23rd, 2008, 7:49 pm

I am not sure what I am listening to. But it says death. It says die, die die.
A horrible death, I dreamed it many times.

Eros becomes death. I am twisted. I been thinking about becoming a Catholic priest.

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » September 23rd, 2008, 8:02 pm

I am listening, to voice that says death whenever I light a cigarette. When ever I "think" about smoking, I am thinking about death. A horrible death. I wonder how I got so twisted?

I am so out of balance between life and death. I think it is sexual. Like sucking on the nipple of the "the triple-breasted whore of Eroticon Six."

Arcadia

Post by Arcadia » September 23rd, 2008, 8:43 pm

well, you can try mate instead but you will be leading with caffeine!!! :lol: the ritual is great but the taste maybe it´s a bit difficult for non far-south latinamericans.

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » September 23rd, 2008, 10:41 pm

I think trying does not work for me. If anything is going to work it is going to be consciousness. Seeing what is. Maybe tomorrow I will wake up.

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » September 24th, 2008, 12:16 am

howdy, eLRod -

" My body says, 'mmmmmmm a cigarette."

if that old body says that to you, it's only because you've addicted your body so badly that it doesn't recognize health anymore, you reckon?

body prefers health over anything else so it can function like it was intended. it ain't no fool. the only fool is mind. ;-)

Marksman45

Post by Marksman45 » September 24th, 2008, 2:12 pm

The body influences the mind influences the body influences the mind influences the body influences the...

izeveryboyin

Post by izeveryboyin » September 25th, 2008, 10:09 am

I don't know if I can honestly say which is the thing that tells me to smoke. I suppose it is the mind and the body. The body develops receptors that begin to crave nicotine, more and more over time, and then those receptors tell the brain to go and light up. They are in cahoots with one another. That is the way the body is designed, to work in tandem with the mind. Triggers, receptors, nerve endings. IT's all connected. Marks, you know, I don't know if I'd ever admit that I think smoking is cool (I certainly used to but I should like to hope, after nearly 10 years of on and off addiction, I have learned better) but I will admit that I never thought Andrew McCarthy was sexy until I saw him chain-smoking when he played Kevin in "St.Elmo's Fire".

--k
sometimes I just like to breathe.

www.technicolorfraud.blogspot.com

Marksman45

Post by Marksman45 » September 25th, 2008, 5:23 pm

That's what I'm saying, Izzy; it's cool until you find out the hard way that it isn't.

Cool is, after all, entirely a matter of perception. It has no objectivity.

bennie2

Post by bennie2 » September 25th, 2008, 6:00 pm

I've never been a smoker. Not really. I went throught a two or three year period of pot smoking pretty much every day. But since then... I used to bum a few cigs off my mate at the bar just because I used to get a buzz from it, not being a full time smoker.

but since scotland decided to ban smoking in public places (like the free thinking, democratic country we are....) I stopped bumming.

however, smoking is cool!
http://nidz.gedankenbuero.de/_files/nid ... moking.jpg

so cool!

my addiction is cheese. I really dig cheese, man! I'm a big strong cheddar fan! I can't stop eating it....

izeveryboyin

Post by izeveryboyin » September 27th, 2008, 6:37 pm

Most Amnerican cities have done the smae thing as well. Chicago, New york, most of the major cities have anti-smoking laws on the books now. But, if you're really determined, like me, you'll crawl outside, huddled and low, and smoke. Continously. Until you have decided you can stand a few hours without it and then you must repeat the whole miserable ritual again. smoking is awful. But it makes ya feel so damn good.

--k
sometimes I just like to breathe.

www.technicolorfraud.blogspot.com

jimboloco

Post by jimboloco » November 20th, 2008, 9:06 am

Obama quit smoking cigarrettes.
I last smoked during the summer of '07
American Spirit, natural tobacco,

I would get an opium-like smashing down buzz
after a period of initial lifting upp

I gat readdicted again, then when my gums became irritated, I quit.
I had taken a stop-smoking class thru the American Heart Association in '93. Out of 20 folks who started the class, I was the only one who finished, a six or eight weekly class schedule. Teacher gave me a gold lapel pin: IQ ( i quit)

The El Paso hombre has it down real good. Yet, fortunately for him and us all, we have the capacity to heal

Nicotine is a vaso-constrictor as well as a carcinogen annd not only causes cancer, but if not that, then emphyzema, and heart disease.

Thanks for posting K. You look cute with a moustache. Please try to look at the stimulus-response, and your cerebral cortex.

I am dealing with the same thing, with POT. Right now I yam outtt and have smoked it all yupp. It does cause fatigue and makes my resting heart rate increase 10 bpm, working overtime to get thru thh sludge.
Have not experimented with pulse rate and nicotine, but with vasoconstriction, there is back pressure against the heart as it tries to pump, so it is not as efficient, and blood pressure rises.

You should have a resting heart rate in the 60's, as a young adult. My resting rate is in the 70's, but when I smoke, it goes up to the 80's and up in the 90's to low 100's with moderate activity.

Vasoconstriction causes the small capillaries in the skin to receive less nutrition and oxygenation, while waste materials, yes, by-products of metabolism, build up, and you see sallow faces, poor skin turgor, wrinkles above and bbeyondd what one would expect with normal aging.

My step-daughter has made the same pattern. She stopped smoking with both of her pregnancies, then resumed. When you are young, your body rebounds easier. It won't always do that. We are going to try to educate her 2 boys against smoking. Their dad smokes too.

In Florida, there is a huge sum of money, like several millions of dollars, in a special trust fund, the interest of this to pay for anti-smoking education in the public schools. It was won in a lawsuit against the tobacco industry. The state government is currently raiding this fund due to budget shortfals. love them Repukeblickins.

Ya wanna make your life real.
So do I.

Both my wife's parents died in their early 60's, emphezyma, congestive heart failure. They were cigarrette smokers, plus he drank a lotta booze. Their last years werre non-smoking, as they were attached to an oxygen tank and they sufferred discomfort, as well as missed out on seeing their grandkids grow up, an never met me, nor I them. My wife never smoked. I am hoping that she will out live her parents by at least 20 years and in good health.

One theory of quitting is to engage in physical activity on a regular basis. this in itself will diminish the desire for ciggies.

This ain't no candy cane.
[color=darkcyan]i'm on a survival mission
yo ho ho an a bottle of rum om[/color]

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » November 20th, 2008, 11:37 am

"In a dark time, the eye begins to see,..."

Return to “General Discussion”