Wink of The Poet's Eye--Day Three

Go ahead. Talk about it.
Lightning Rod

Wink of The Poet's Eye--Day Three

Post by Lightning Rod » September 2nd, 2004, 10:44 am

Night Three--Evangelical Informercial

Tonight was Take Off the Gloves Night at the RNC. Keeping with the spirit of evangelism that has characterized this convention, Zell Miller delivered the perfect keynote address. He is the embodiment of the lie that they are trying to sell this week--a Republican who swears he's a Democrat. But he did spark the first spirited reaction from the delegates that I have observed during this convention. Republicans love to go to church and Miller was the ideal Bible thumper to warm the crowd up for the Vice-President.

Why does Dick Cheney remind me of Hermann Goering? Or one of those apparatchiks that you used to see standing on the Kremlin wall in an overcoat next to Stalin or Kruschev? Maybe it's because he never smiles beyond that maniacal, clenched-teethed grimace.

It's all about the strong and steadfast thing.

They are really pushing the strong and steadfast thing this week. They keep emphasizing the supposed fact that George Bush never changes his mind. Even though half the free world disagreed with our incursion into Iraq, he went on anyway because of his convictions and the world is better for it. This remains to be seen, but those are the talking points. The Muslims are not too thrilled with our occupation of their territory in Iraq and Afhanistan. You would have to be blind not to see the seeds of terror that are being sown there.

I don't want a leader that never changes his mind. I want a leader that can turn on a dime if the situations in this changing world require it. But I'm not like most church-going people. That's because I don't go to church. I don't need a preacher to tell me the sky is blue.

But somehow the GOP wants you to believe that our country is safer than it was before "the whole world changed" on 9/11. Here's some news. The whole world DID NOT change on 9/11, any more than it changes when 100,000 people die when a typhoon hits Bengladesh. The price of gas keeps going up. Taxes in one form or another keep eating your paycheck. You still don't have sensible healthcare because the insurance and drug companies are raping you and the president tries to tell you it's because of malpractice suits.

The only thing that changed on 9/11 was that Bushco got a free ticket to embark on their designs of world conquest and domestic repression. The Security issue is a red herring. The average American family is in no more danger of being harmed by terrorists than it is of being struck by lighting. They are much more likely to be harmed by the fact that we have no comprehensive heathcare in the richest country on earth. But the Repubs want to focus your attention on the imaginary demons that can be vanquished at whim, rather than the real demons who require hands-on exorcism.

In the process of trying to deify Ronald Reagan, the organizers of the Republican National Informercial played a nostalgic film. It reminded me of how the Soviets embalmed Lenin and displayed him in the Kremlin. By that time Lenin's brand of communism was as dead as Reagan's brand of Republicanism is today.

And on the fourth day He went among the multitudes at the Mount of Madison Square and he preached to them saying,

Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the debt.
Blessed are the warmongers, for they shall posses the land
Blessed are the sick, for they shall have no insurance
Blessed are those that hunger and thirst, for we will let them hunger and thirst
Blessed are those that suffer, cuz they ain't seen nuthin' yet
Blessed are the rich, for they will get tax breaks
Blessed are the cruel, for you don't win imaginary wars with compassion
Blessed are the stupid, for they will vote for us

stay tuned.
"These words don't make me a poet, these Eyes make me a poet."

The Poet's Eye

sooZen

I always look in your eye...

Post by sooZen » September 2nd, 2004, 1:58 pm

Lrod, I want you to know that I always read your Poet's Eye even though I don't always comment. For the most part, I am in total agreement with what you have to say so what more can one say?

As for last nite, if you checked my blog, I just couldn't bring myself to listen to Cheney, et al. He aggravates the hell out of me and I didn't want or need the aggravation so I put on some soothing music, read and had a bowl of peach ice cream. I did enjoy reading your take on things. As I have told you before you are in the great tradition of Molly, the wit, Ivins and Jim, the not so subtle mouth, Hightower. Keep up the great work buddy although I seriously doubt you could be stopped and amen (Hah!) to that!!! I did happen to catch Zell challenging Chris Matthews to a duel. What a nutcase that guy is! The real scary thing about this whole election thing is that the Repubs want us to believe that Kerry is more frightening than Bin Ladin. Wowzer!

Smacks,
SooZ

Return to “General Discussion”